Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Khans of Tarkir!

Abzan Guide

Card art images for the next Magic: the Gathering setting called 'Khans of Tarkir' have been spoiled.  And so I shall spoil them at a bigger size - for your viewing pleasure, of course!

Trumpet Blast

Take a gander at my first five for this block - based loosely on the Mongol tribe dynasties and that general era of history on the Asian continent. Pretty damn fun stuff, I must say. The developers and concept artists made a great world to play around in. Of these five, Trumpet Blast might be my fave - though I like the bright colors of Abzan Guide, too.

Timely Hordemate

Arrow Storm

For all the stuff I'm pretty good at drawing, horses have never been a strong point. This set kinda threw me into the meat-grinder though. Which is good though - I needed the practice.  Most of the images feature a figure on horseback. Or if not on horseback, then on wolfback. Or some other creature's back.

Death Frenzy

Frenzy is a rare dip into somewhat graphic violence for a Magic card. At least for me. Sure, there was a time not so long ago when graphic violence and gore-filled imagery was a staple of my artwork for such horror-based product lines as Werewolf: the Apocalypse and Vampire: the Masquerade. The gore in M:tG cards is usually quite PG-13 though which is fine by me as it forces me to establish mood and horror and danger without relying on blood n guts. However, a massacre at the jaws of undead crocodiles seemed to call for something a little more ham-handed. When I see videos of crocs coin' what they do best along the banks of the Nile, it is never anything short of grisly.

Plenty more Tarkir images will be arriving as subsequent sets come out so keep in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment